Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Walk in the Woods: Bill Bryson Love Part II

A lovely stroll along the Appalachian trail:  wit, middle-aged men doing the mid-life thing, history, friendship, sadness, environment, botany, biology and some southern states all in one easy to read travel memoir.  I can't believe it took me this long to discover this author.

I requested this book from my local library, waited at least 6 weeks to get it, and was delighted to get to read a very dog eared and much loved copy.  Has there been a waitlist for this book since its publication date of 1998?

I commented to my husband that the book seemed eerily pre-9/11.  Travel memoirs read with more suspicion and more snark in this era of travel.  No pat-downs or criminal background checks to get on the trail in 1998.

The book is dedicated to Katz.  I must say, I loved his travel companion Katz more than I can possibly say.   I breathed a heavy sigh when I finished the book and went back and read the dedication.  If you haven't already read this one it is worth an afternoon.

Reading this made me know, deep down in my heart, that I will never ever aspire to hike the Appalachian Trail. Not even in my wildest fantasies.  I am glad Bill Bryson did.

2 comments:

ellie said...

i'm glad you liked it! you can leave the AT to bill bryson, but we should take a walk out at griffy once the trails dry out.

Amy said...

Yes! I would love that.