Thursday, December 8, 2011
The Girl's Guide to Homelessness by Brianna Karp
10. You are living in a trailer in a Wal-mart parking lot, how can you call yourself homeless?
9. How can you be homeless, you have a job?
8. If you can afford a lap top and a cell phone...
7. Can't you just crash on someone's couch?
6. But you are clean and you have a business suit!
5. How dare you splurge on yourself!
4. Just call your parents.
3. Look at the bright side, no bills to worry about.
2. You shouldn't have a dog.
1. How can you be homeless, you don't do drugs, do you?
PS Girls Guide is a fresh original memoir which is either about being homeless while in a relationship gone awry, or the tale of a dysfunctional relationship between a couple who happens to be homeless. I found it to be quite a page turner and I highly recommend it. I do note--that the story seems sort of young. My frequent complaint about memoirs of late is they feel like they need to sit in people's minds and hearts for a few more years before they get written. This whole story happened two years ago. (But I guess when you get a book deal, you get a book deal.)
PPS I learned that things going viral is not necessarily an accident. Good to know.
PPPS Wal-mart had one redeeming quality for a few chapters.