Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Camino by Shirley MacLaine

Just a few words about this celebrity memoir written by spiritual guru and actor Shirley MacLaine.  It is part of my summer long reading list involving books by pilgrims who have taken the famed Santiago de Compostela--the pilgrimage to the shrine of St. James that I blogged about a few weeks back.

I think about a third of the book was dedicated to how she dodged reporters and paparazzi once they discovered who she was and what she was doing.  Another third was dedicated to the mechanics and rigors of the trail and the remaining third was a detailed account of an on-going and recurring vision she had at various points on the trail. Some guy from a prior life kept appearing to her.

It all seemed a little crazy and whacked out to me. The most interesting part was how she avoided the media and the fact that she did it at age 60+, so I felt like there was some hope of me getting it done someday.

No comments: