Monday, September 28, 2015

Leave the Dogs at Home by Claire S Arbogast

25. & 26.  A book set in a high school and a book in my hometown.

The summer has come and gone and as usual I lost a lot of my interest in reading as the sun shone brightly and beckoned me to other pursuits. I may not finish this challenge by years end but it has been interesting for me.

The book set in a high school is only mentioned as it is a manuscript that someone has trusted me to read before it was published.  I loved reading it, but am not at liberty to review it because it still belongs to the heart and mind of the writer, but I make note of its presence in my reading life. It is always a good and fine thing to put your stuff out there. Risky and human and beautiful.  I admire any writer who does that.

The book set in my hometown was  somewhat trickier for me to find and write about.  My true home town is a suburb east of Cleveland, Ohio.  A good place to grow up but not particularly noteworthy for literary achievements although the 20th president of the US is from there and I used to work as a tour guide at his house. This is probably the subject of another blog.

Instead, I choose my hometown to be the place I live now and have lived for 22 years: Bloomington, Indiana.  I have lived here longer than the place I grew up, so we are calling this my home town and here is a memoir by a fellow writer that was published in the thick of this fallow reading summer and has inspired me to be creative and live that life I want to live.  Ms Arbogast's memoir is set in my hometown and takes place in and around the IU campus where I work and where my husband and I have gotten 3 degrees between us.

Here is a story of a woman coming to terms with her husband and partner's death.  It is moving and poignant and filled with life. I am glad to know the writer and know the town it was set in.  The title is perfect.

So this entry is dedicated to the writers I know. The writer in me and the writer in you.  Go forth and create!

5 comments:

shaahah said...

Vapesource is a thriving British business with international reach; bringing quality products and great customer service to the growing e-cig industry. So if you’re looking for a vape you’ll never forget come see us at or at our store location.

shaahah said...

We offer one of the largest selection of Vape Source E-liquids and vape hardware such as vape kit, vape pod kits,replacement coils and replacement podsin the UK. We stock the best ecig kits, vape pens including the latest juice ranges and next-generation box-mod.

shaahah said...

One way to ensure that you get a good deal on an electronic cigarette is to shop at a Vape Shop near me that has two locations, in addition to their local store.

fast furious said...

The Vape Club is a new online service that sells all kinds of vaping gear including many kits, e-liquids, and even books and e-courses. What makes this different from other sites is that vape club provides a better selection of products at a cheaper price than what most other sites can offer.

fast furious said...

nice